Hibbett Sporting Goods was founded in 1945, under the name Dixie Supply Company, and stocked merchandise such as boats, marine equipment and even small aircraft. In 1949, Dixie Supply entered the Athletic Equipment business, based 100% in school and team sales.
In 1952, Dixie Supply Company became Hibbett Sporting Goods. Over the next seven years, all merchandise not related to sporting goods was slowly dropped out of inventory. By 1968, five stores were open, and 75% of the sales still consisted of school and team business.
Hibbett Sporting Goods had grown to ten stores by 1979, when a retail store expansion program was initiated. Hibbett has now expanded to well over 800 stores in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
We attribute much of our success to:
- Close geographic locations
- State of the art computer system
- Progressive store design
- Localized marketing strategies
- Innovative training program through use of our in-house video facility
- Strength of real estate strategy to locate in small markets
- Strength of our merchandise mix from major sports vendors such as Nike, Reebok, New Balance, Easton, Schutt, Russell Athletic, Under Armour, adidas, K-Swiss, Mizuno, H & B and Rawlings
But the most important factors is our “team,” which strives to make Hibbett Sporting Goods a winner.
- Hibbett Stores average 5,000 square feet
- We usually locate in the number one shopping center in the city that dominates the retail for the county; approximately 70% of our stores are in strip centers and 30% are in malls
- Most of our stores are located within 150 miles of an existing location
Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest. Our stores offer a broad assortment of quality footwear, apparel and team athletic equipment with a high level of customer service.
Our merchandise assortment features a broad selection of brand name merchandise emphasizing team sports and fitness complemented by a selection of localized apparel and accessories designed to appeal to a wide range of customers in each market. We believe our stores are among the primary retail distribution avenues for brand name vendors who seek to penetrate our target markets.
We target markets with county populations that range from 30,000 to 100,000. By targeting smaller markets, we believe we achieve significant strategic advantages, including numerous expansion opportunities, comparatively low operating costs and a more limited competitive environment than is generally faced in larger markets.
Please advise us of any reasonable accommodation you will need in completing our application process.